The Science of Writing: Full-Time Student. Full-Time Editor.

by Hannah Haney

I always knew that I wanted to be an editor, but I had no idea I could be an editor and a student.

Haney2

I started interning with Relief Journal in the summer of 2014, right before my junior year. I proofread for the blog section of the journal and emailed the bloggers to make sure they met their bi-monthly deadlines. By January 2015, I was promoted to Interim Managing Editor and Web Editor. I now edit all of the blog posts, post to WordPress four times a week and then share the posts on social media, communicate with bloggers and print contributors, and update the company database to reflect current staff, contributors, and purchases of the print journal.

I’m also a full-time student getting ready for my senior year at Taylor. So, my daily schedule looks something like this:

• Wake up and make sure all my homework is ready for that day’s classes.
  • Share the latest post on social media and check to see if there are any new purchases that need to be put in the database.
  • Check Relief email and respond to bloggers about topics and drafts. Update the schedule as I go through emails.
  • Attend a full day’s worth of classes—anywhere from 3-6 hours of class time.
  • Stop at the library on my way back to the dorm to place orders in the database, if necessary.
  • Check emails again, update the schedule, and email writers who are behind on deadlines. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, I edit any of the drafts that have come in and put them in my queue.
  • Finish homework for the next day. This can take a few hours, depending on the day and workload.
  • If it’s a Sunday, I also schedule four posts in WordPress and find appropriate photos to correspond with each post (if the author hasn’t provided one).

Wash, rinse, repeat.

It’s a full load, and it can be a lot of work. But it’s not impossible. With enough discipline and organization, it’s easy to manage everything. The most important thing I’ve learned is to keep a schedule and stick to it. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays are the days I devote the most time to the blog. These days work best with my schedule now, but they fluctuate as needed. However, as long as I devote three days a week to editing posts, I won’t get behind.

Despite how crazy everything can feel at the time, I can honestly say that I am living the dream. I get to do two of the things that I am most passionate about—study stories and edit—at the same time. It can be a hectic life at times, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Don’t be intimated when good things come your way. Carpe Diem and live your dream.

Hannah Haney is a English literature major at Taylor University.

Advertisements