From the Desk: Authoring with Authenticity

By Hannah Schaefer 

My name is Hannah, I am a writer, and I am a morning person.

This may seem insignificant to you, but to me this realization was extraordinary. Through my high school years and up until my sophomore year of college, I was convinced I was a night owl. I stayed up into the wee hours of the night to write when all my brain needed was some sleep and a cup of tea first thing in the morning to get going. Despite knowing this, I plugged along this way for years. I believed that “true writers” worked tirelessly through the night. Even though the shoe didn’t fit, I was going to jam that thing on my foot no matter what it took.

Sometimes it’s hard to be honest about ourselves. We want to be seen as classier, smarter, or more distinguished than we really are – both as writers and as people. However, as writers we desire to attain an unrealistic cliché of an author; whether it’s a quiet, introverted night owl or a Henry David Thoreau, living alone in a log cabin and journaling about his experiences. If we’re honest, it does not work that way for most of us.

What would happen if we set down our masks and admitted that even writers are real, ordinary people? What would happen if we told the truth about our writing lives: how we get writers block, how we go through seasons where the last thing we want to do is sit down at a computer, and how sometimes, opening a Word document feels like fighting a long and difficult battle? What if we allowed authenticity to shape our lives, onscreen and off?

I don’t know about you, but I want to be a writer that is brave and true. I want to show people that anyone can be an artist. And even if I am a morning person, I can still be a writer.

Hannah Schaefer spends most of her time doing homework like every other college student, but in her spare time you might find her taking pictures or reading a good book at a coffee shop. She mostly writes poetry and creative nonfiction. You can find her blogging at www.hannahschaefer.com.

Advertisements

One thought on “From the Desk: Authoring with Authenticity

1. I struggle with being an extrovert when most writers are introverts. When they would embrace a free Saturday or weekend without a roommate to write, I would be terrified. That’s my “writer stereotype” that I struggle with.

I also couldn’t stay up late, and while it sometimes felt like I wasn’t a “proper” college student or writer, I knew it kept me sane and functioning in daylight hours.